Thursday, April 6, 2017

Reflections on Lent

Lent is almost over and I have had so little time to write but I do want to recap as far as I can what I have learned and how I have grown and what happened to Lent 2017- through pictures of course!


What I gave up for Lent this year:  coffee

Why do I give something up?:  As a reminder to depend on God and often to be reminded that I am giving up something in exchange for something much better.  It was kind of a last minute decision because I had actually wanted to give up laziness but I didn't really have a picture idea for it. 

Dhalma with spinach from India and a slice of bread
Ifisashi from Zambia
Pupusas de Queso with Curtido and Salsa Roja from El Salvador 



Meatless Meal(s)
I eat meatless meals on Friday.  This practice reminds of my many brothers and sisters around the world who can not afford meat also it is a reminder to discipline myself to fast from something even something as simple as meat. 

CRS Recipes are really helpful in not only giving you a meatless recipe but also in connecting you to different cultures and real people who are trying to improve their lives.  I always find it interesting, the recipes tasty and unique, and it helps connect me to others who are following along with the CRS calendar.


Giving Back

This year I have been giving blood.  Is it a good excuse for a busy mom to lay down for a good cause?  I think so.



Wilderness

During Lent we reflect on going into the wilderness for solitude and growth so here I am taking a quick walk in my backyard full of the dried pine needles of winter.



Favorite Verse
Hebrews 12:1-2 "Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God."



Solitude
It is important for me (and others I am sure) to be alone with Christ.  This is the chair I usually sit in to watch Mass and pray and read the Bible. 



Nurturing
One thing I am learning from this Lent is that I need to stop trying to do it alone.  Last year I did include my children but I felt like it was confusing or might cause confusion because we are not Catholic, but I want them to be able to at least have the opportunity to experience this spiritual practice.  I will include them next year for sure.  Just so you know I do have another daughter but she was at school when I took this picture.


Walk
I have tried to take some time for a few extra walks.  They didn't amount to much extra.  But I can't help but praise God for the weather changing to beautiful spring!  My husband took the girls on a walk around our capital city during cherry blossom time.  Praise be to God!


 #FishFriday
We had tuna fish sandwiches for lunch!  Ariana loves tuna sandwiches.

 

Mentor
I had very good intentions of visiting my mentor Pam Teschner- or at least someone I consider a mentor, but time slips by so quickly for me.  I took a picture of a book she authored and signed for me.  I am thankful for so many of the older ladies in my life. 

Well that was only 10 days worth of reflection....but I wanted to give you a taste of my experience so far and to give you a chance to respond with your experiences or to pray for you.


No comments:

End the Chapter

  Dear Reader, I don't think I have ever been more angry, embarrassed, disappointed, and ashamed.  We are at the end of the chapter.  We...