Tuesday, May 26, 2015
The Ministry of Motherhood My Personal Study Part 2
This is how we mother! We are kind, but not soft. Unlike God we will never be perfect but isn't it amazing? We get to show our children what God is like. As mothers, we specifically can show grace when those little eyes look at us and say, "Sorry, Mom." We don't keep bring up all the things they do wrong. I am so guilty of this so I have a lot of learning to do!
Peter, one of Jesus' top disciples, denied he even knew Him, yet in I Peter 4:8 we see how Peter recognizes that love covers a multitude of sins. Christ gave grace to Peter. I want to extend that kind of grace to my own children. What does that look like? I can tell you what it DOES NOT look like. It doesn't look like cussing out your kids, embarrassing/shaming them, spanking multiple times a week (spanking is a last resort under certain circumstances at our house), or screaming at them. Grace, in our every day interaction, is knowing your child and making clear what is expected of them. It is listening. It is realizing that every situation you encounter will not be the same and will not requite the exact same punishment or possibly any punishment. It is being a mom constantly seeking wisdom in prayer.
Jesus' attitude to His disciples before going to the cross was of concern, sorrow, and radical love. He called them "my children". The scene from John 13:31-14:1 becomes somewhat reminiscent of a parent leaving their child on the first day of school or college. "I can not go with you....(but) trust God." Jesus knew they were going to make mistakes and sin, maybe even HUGE mistakes and sins, even though there is no gradation on sin, but He was prepared to love them and forgive them. That is what I, as a mother, need to be prepared to do. My children are sinners and will continue to sin. I want to be prepared to show them love while not approving of the sin. I want to show grace and show them God's forgiveness through me. I will read to them about the great heroes of the Bible who messed up big time and tell them it is never too late to come home and come before the church and throne of God for repentance.
Jesus also clearly teaches that discipline is a tool to be worked with along side grace. But how does that work? How do we put those things together when they almost seem like opposites? Well to be honest- I don't know the answer and it is part of the reason I am reading this book. For me, it comes down to trusting that God will help you make the right decisions. It sound simple at first but it become so much more.
From the questions on page 57 of The Ministry of Motherhood by Sally Clarkson. Stay tuned for next week to find what irritates me about my kids and how I try to respond in grace, but more often then not- fail. I know you want to know!
FAMILY UPDATE:
Lucy was throwing up last week and then I was sleep deprived and also felt my stomach not being happy with me. I didn't get my usual week homemaking update but life goes on. We are all much better now!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
End the Chapter
Dear Reader, I don't think I have ever been more angry, embarrassed, disappointed, and ashamed. We are at the end of the chapter. We...
-
Dear Reader, I don't think I have ever been more angry, embarrassed, disappointed, and ashamed. We are at the end of the chapter. We...
-
Scripture- Colossians 3:17- And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the LORD Jesus, giving thanks to God th...
-
Guess who is coming to visit today? My mother-in-law. And guess whose house is an absolute mess? Mine. Yup, I feel great...that is sarc...


No comments:
Post a Comment