Saturday, December 12, 2020

Advent at Home

 "Its the beautiful task of Advent to awaken in all of us memories of goodness and thus to open the doors of hope." -Pope Benedict XVI

 

We are smack dab in the middle of Advent.  I am challenging myself to think back on the "memories of goodness" and make a commitment to this season to be more hopeful, reflective, and patient.  I know it is late.  I really wish my life was more put together, but here we are.  I am going to take it as it is.


  

 "Just take everything exactly as it is, put it in God's hands, and leave it with Him." -St. Edith Stein

 

It is so very hard to let go of even the tiniest sliver of control sometimes.  Sometimes I just want people to leave so I can clean the house and then I have to take a deep breathe and love them any way.  One of the biggest things I'd like to put in to God's hands this Advent season is the MESS.  I am so bored and tired of cleaning up after everyone.  He can have this.  I don't care what anyone else thinks.  I say that a lot in my head, but then I end up staying up till 1 or 2 am "making things perfect".  Not this year. 

 


   

"When we give cheerfully and accept gratefully, everyone is blessed." -Maya Angelou

I had to give my emotions and frustrations to God when my husband thought he had Covid so we didn't see family or actually celebrate Thanksgiving because I had 2 days notice.  I was in so much shock I couldn't wrap my mind around what I was suppose to do and how I was suppose to express all the disappointment.  So my #Giving Tuesday ended up being our Thanksgiving.  In a way I was donating to myself and allowing myself to be thankful for a healthy body (my husband's test came back negative) and a way to heal my emotions and heal my expectations. 

 


 

 "The celebration of Advent is possibly only to those who are troubled in soul, who know themselves to be poor and imperfect, and who look forward to something greater to come." -Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Pastor and Theologian

 

I need to note three areas in my life in need of renewal.  I pray for strength and guidance to make a positive change this Advent even with it being half over.  There is still time for renewal.  I am constantly having to let go of my expectations so number one, I would like to renew my expectations  Number two, I need to renew my prayer life in general.  Number three, I want a renewed sense of peace when it comes to trusting my husband's decisions and trusting my children with their education.   

 


 
This year I am using the devotional called Repeat the Sounding Joy by Christopher Ash.  It has been really calming when I can get around to it.  I would like to do it next year with my church <---note to self. 

 

No comments:

End the Chapter

  Dear Reader, I don't think I have ever been more angry, embarrassed, disappointed, and ashamed.  We are at the end of the chapter.  We...