Thursday, March 7, 2019

Ashes

Dear Friend,

Yesterday, even with not much sleep, proved to be much better.  I woke up early enough to plan my day.  Lucy apologized and we are basically re-introducing the discipline of 123 Magic suggested by my husband with him being the final authority over said situation which has lifted a heavy burden off of me. 

I took a prayer bath which is basically washing all the parts of my body while praying for them.  Maybe it sounds silly but it is truly calming and centering for me.

"Feet- God bless my feet where ever they take me."

"God bless my arms as they lift and carry things to be used for your glory."

"Thank you for my breasts which have fed each of my children and may they satisfy my husband as your word says."

Etc...

I am ready for today- Lent Day 1.  Lucy and I take care of Dr. D.- her strange affectionate name she calls her Type 1 Diabetes.  I drop the two off for elementary school on late start Wednesday  and it is sleet turning into snow.  They are kind today and don't insist on me walking them into school- "Praise God!"  

It has been snowing since around eleven o'clock and I pray that this does not affect me getting to Ash Wednesday service.  I am looking forward to it VERY much.  Thankfully it is not cold enough to stick.  



I try to stay calm and focused.  I fold the laundry and I ritualistically clean out the fridge of meat and leftovers but I leave some meat in the freezer especially for St. Patrick's Day.  I watch a video on frozen fruit because it is Frozen Food Day.  


I have successfully avoided Facebook and have spent only 1.5 hours on line- mostly typing up these journal entries.  I have no idea how long I will be able to keep this up.  

After I pick up the girls from school Lucy reads from her Wacky Reading Calendar for March- I will try to update about that on Owlowiscious Girls She is in a much better mood today!  We "Read about teeth" and "Read Upside Down".  

Now I wait and reflect till it is time for service.

"Lent is a good time for sacrificing.  Let us deny ourselves something every day to help others." -Pope Francis

All I have eaten today is an egg on half a bagel with cream cheese, a mocha from Dutch Brothers (a gift from my husband) and a bag of Cheetos and a couple of cookies because yesterday (3/5) was Cheese Doodle Day and today (3/6) is Oreo Cookie Day and that is what I have on hand.  We generally can't afford to waste food even during Lent.  Yes, this is my fasting- right or wrong- I have not had a full meal and I have had no meat.  Tomorrow I will give a fuller acoount of My Lenten Promise but I am taking this Lent a little at a time.  I hope and trust God that I am helping some how by not ripping open and gorging on the the cookies or by not making a turkey or ham sandwich.  At the very least I am more mindful and my stomach doesn't hurt the way it normally seems to do now days.  
My husband did not cancel Youth Group because of the snow and it did not prevent us from making it to service at St. Boniface.  This is my 5th year receiving the Ashes and just like the very first time I am taking Lucy with me.  She was 3 years old.  This will be her 3rd time.  Let us look back on past Ash Wednesdays.  

Lent 2015




Lucy- Lent 2015

Lent 2016

The Girls on Lent 2016

Lent 2017

Lent 2018 (it was also Valentine's Day)

Lent 2019

Outside in the snowy cold on Lent 2019
Looking back on these makes me so happy!  Lent breathes life into my soul.  Ir reminds me who I am and I might be saying this every year till I die but I need it more than ever.  Interestingly enough this is my first Lent where I felt very comfortable and not awkward or weird or like I stuck out because I am not strictly speaking Catholic.  But praise God He calls us ALL to repentance and I need that reminder.  

Yours Faithfully,
Larissa

No comments:

End the Chapter

  Dear Reader, I don't think I have ever been more angry, embarrassed, disappointed, and ashamed.  We are at the end of the chapter.  We...