Thursday, March 10, 2022

Hobby and Hometown

"Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord." -Psalm 27:14


Yesterday I had an amazing time of prayer and crying out to God.  I focused on the Penitential Psalms- more specifically Psalm 130.  I am finding I need a lot of patience as I wait for God to reveal His word to me and to trust Him.  I listened to an episode of the Holy Post Podcast while I was cross stitching last night.  I have been working on the Hogwarts Crest Pattern for at least two years- I know because I took a picture of my progress in 2020!  I haven't made much progress since then!  

 

"I can live for two months on a good compliment." -Mark Twain


Today's photo prompt was Hometown and I was debating with myself on what to photograph.  I broke my Lenten fast of rice and beans to get some coffee and a puff pastry.  But I also did it to honor St. Drogo who I just learned is the patron saint of coffee and people who are unattractive!!  See how much I am learning from Lent Madness?  Speaking of Lent Madness my bracket is not doing so great- it started off pretty good.  I had Stephen beating out Wenceslaus and Kateri beating Olaf.  I even got Teresa of Avila winning over Crispin.  But I was a bit surprised when Madeleine Barat beat Mashtots!  I will tell you why I voted for who I voted for:

-Stephen over Wenceslaus because Stephen was the first martyr and his story made a big impression on me when I saw it reenacted in a mini-series as a kid.  Plus I have a cousin named Stephen.  

-Kateri over Olaf because Native Americans need some love especially right now and from reading her story you could tell she had huge amounts of trauma.  Olaf just seemed like a big meanie!  

-Mesrop Mashtots over Madeleine Barat because he loved translations and words- just like me!  He used his skills to create the Armenian alphabet and write out the Bible.  Plus his name sounds so fun!  He didn't continue on, unfortunately.   

-Melania the Elder over Hilary of Poitiers because she gave up her life as a rich ruler and even left her family behind to support the work of Christ and the monks that worked in the desert of Egypt.  I also felt a bit guilty for voting for a man yesterday during March (Women's Month), but in the end it didn't help.  Hilary, a man btw, went on to the next round.  

-Teresa of Avila over Crispin because I can tell she is one of the most popular saints around here and one of my husband's cousin's daughters is named Avila- so I had to vote for her.  She, of course, made it to the next round.  

-Lydia over James Holly because she is in the Bible as one of the first European converts and I have a friend named Lydia who is Catholic.  Plus I felt that maybe I should keep voting for as many women (they feel like underdogs) as I can at least during the month of March.  Again, my vote didn't make it and James Holly went on- he was cool, too, though.  No hard feelings on this one.  

-Today I voted for Drogo over Columbanus because of the obvious reasons- the Saint of Coffee and Unattractive People- duh!!!  As of right now it looks like he isn't going to pull through....ugh!  This one is going to sting a little.  

Tomorrows vote is going to be extra hard because it is two men and I have picked Aloysius Gonzaga to win this round but with my luck is not looking so good.  I picked him because Gonzaga school is near here on the West coast but I come to find out that his rival Thomas of Villanova also has a school but on the East coast and the East seems to be represented in Lent Madness much more.  I think that is why they were pitted against each other!  They seem equally great as far as saints go BUT the one thing that Gonzaga has up again Villanova is that Aloysius is the patron saint of THE PLAGUE and that feels appropriate after going through COVID.  A little dramatic?  Yes!  But I will take pity votes at this point- hahaahaha!  

Any way, this is all in good fun!  

Lastly I want to leave you with the Prayer of St. Francis which has meant so much to me this week.  




No comments:

End the Chapter

  Dear Reader, I don't think I have ever been more angry, embarrassed, disappointed, and ashamed.  We are at the end of the chapter.  We...