Saturday, March 26, 2022

Transition, Prayer Journaling, and Walking Outside

 "Mercy is most empowering, liberating, and transformative when it is directed at the undeserving.  The people who haven't earned it, who haven't even sought it, are the most meaningful recipients of our compassion." -Bryan Stevenson, Activist 


As I hit about the half way point of Lent things usually start loosening up and I start feeling a wee bit guilty.  I tend to think more about "when will this be over" or I start "forgetting" all the intentions and fasting and giving I wanted to do.  It starts becoming too unrealistic and I get discouraged because I have little to no support or encouragement.  It is a definitely a time of transition.  I also reflect on the word transition because you can see the seasons changing and my girls are growing up.  Two of my girls went to The Enchanted Forest with me.  It is more of a place for younger kids.  My kids are 14 and 10, but I had some gift cards to use up and I didn't want to just stay home during Spring Break.  When your children are young and so dependent on you frustration come and you just want them to grow-up.  And when they do grow-up you start getting wistful for the days when they did need you.  I don't feel that way very often, but the feelings can sneak up on me at times.  I wonder how Jesus felt when he was tempted for forty days and hit the half way point.  Did he know it was the half way point?  How did the angels minister to him?  These are just some rambling thoughts and feelings, but I hope I can renew my commitments and finish Lent 2022 strong.  



"Success isn't about the end result, it's about what you learn along the way." -Vera Wang


I haven't had a prayer journal in a long time, but instead I have been copying down prayers.  This one is The Penitential Prayer of Saint Augustine.  I wanted this notebook to be more communal and less personal.  My girls have written some prayers from our Rice and Beans Devotional.  I hope this is something useful and makes memories.  

"Anything you can't control is teaching you how to let go." -Jackson Kiddard, Philosopher


One thing I have learned to "let go of" is when the weather will be nice especially around spring where it teases you one day with a clear sky and sunshine and the next is windy, wet, and cloudy.  We have had three fairly nice days this week.  It isn't very warm but it is in the low to mid 60s by noon which is a perfect time for a walk.  The picture of me is on one of my walks.  I still haven't started my 5k training yet but it is nice to stretch and strength my legs before the hard stuff begins.  I look forward to more discipline in my life- continue praying!  

No comments:

End the Chapter

  Dear Reader, I don't think I have ever been more angry, embarrassed, disappointed, and ashamed.  We are at the end of the chapter.  We...